Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Now This is More Like it!

(March 26th) I left Ding Darling and headed to the nearby Sanibel Island Lighthouse. The area was smoking with shorebirds, gulls, and pelicans. Lots of people too, but these birds are so friendly that it was still great shooting. This is what I've come to expect from Florida's gulf coast. Many of the birds, like this Ruddy Turnstone, were playing with the coquinas found at the water's edge (I just noticed this one doesn't work so well small, hard to tell it's actually holding the shell).



I had a great time watching the Black-bellied Plovers. They would run for a short distance and then stop and look around for a while. Then they'd repeat this behavior. They also seemed to have little hesitation at approaching me as long as I was still.



What is a trip to the beach without the ubiquitous Willet. This bird is always around, but still with their large size and long, gray bill they are an attractive bird.

No comments: