Thursday, June 18, 2009

Can't Get Enough Owls

(March 28th) I returned to the library this afternoon for another visit to the Burrowing Owls. On the way to the site, I spotted a Mourning Dove up in a tree.



The Burrowing Owls are quite small - slightly smaller than the dove. Although they make up for it with plenty of character. While at the burrow I saw one aggresively scare off a pair of doves. It was quite surprising because it had no problem with me, but immediately when the doves landed more than twice as far from the burrow as I was it went ballistic.



The owls put on quite a show for me. When a hawk flew in the vicinity (and it was way up high), it flattened to ground and stared up watching the hawk in fear. It could tell the difference though between hawks and other similar birds. It didn't flinch at either a vulture or an osprey.



The big treat was when the female came out of the burrow. At first the two just sat and looked around for a short while.



Then for the grand prize - one of them began to "kiss" the other. If only my position was at a slightly different angle. Still I'm quite happy with both the shot and the experience.



Unfortunately everything must come to an end. I took a few last shots like this one of the male yawning. The sun fell behind a house in the distance and the light was no more. I felt nearly as tired as the owl.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

the owls are sooooo cuteeeee!!!!! great shots! I like the kissing picture! I've never even seen an owl in real life yet