Thursday, June 11, 2009

It Keeps Getting Better!

(March 27th) This morning I headed out to Little Estero Lagoon before the sun was up. At this hour not many people, just a few taking a walk. But the birds were really out and the light was great. In the early glow there were a bunch of White Ibises foraging in the shallow water. I get such a kick out of these bizarre looking creatures. The bright red face on the mature adults like this one, just adds to their strange look.



There were lots of shorebirds too. Some were in the lagoon area like this Short-billed Dowitcher and others were at the beach areas. They all seemed to be having a good time except when a Peregrine Falcon flew overhead and scared everything for nearly half an hour.



I am not sure there is any bird in the Gulf area with more attitude than the Reddish Egret. All their poses just look so proud. Sometimes they are a little skittish, but this one didn't mind too much as it hunted for fish in the lagoon.



Since I was a little child, I have always marvelled at the soft beauty of Snowy Egrets. It is easy to see why their feathers were desired by women a century ago. Fortunately their numbers have rebounded and on my trip I saw many adults in full breeding plumage. The wind was tousling the plumage of this one. If the photography keeps up like this, I'm going to be seriously spoiled.

No comments: