Monday, January 26, 2009

Just Can't Rush a Photo

(October 22nd) For my last morning, I returned to the Sabal Palm Audubon Sanctuary. Although this wasn't the best spot for wildlife at the time, it was the only one close enough that I could make a 9am flight after. As usually is the case with wildlife photography, trying to squeeze in a quick shoot under conditions that aren't the greatest isn't the best formula for success. The only shot of the morning that passable was of this Eastern Phoebe - and it's nothing to write home about.



While Sabal Palm was dry when I went there and I didn't have the best photographic luck, I still saw some great things there and when there's water, I'd imagine that it is an exciting location. As an ecosystem, the palm forest is very different than the rest of the ecosystems I visited. Unfortunately, it's close to the Mexican border and the threat of a border wall threatens its very existence. You can find out more about this saddening possibility at: click on the Save Sabal Palm link

South Texas was an exciting adventure for me. It was my first time taking a trip alone just for the sake of photography. The birds and butterflies were truly outstanding. The refuges and state parks were well maintained and food and lodging was economical. I cannot recommend the area enough - the only downside were the nasty run-ins with chiggers that I had.

No comments: