Friday, January 23, 2009

It Doesn't Get Any Better

(October 18th) Nothing can get me up in the morning like the prospect of great wildlife. After what I saw yesterday, I was up at 4am to drive out before sunrise to a location renowned among birders - Santa Ana NWR. My jaw dropped when I arrived. The first thing I noticed getting out of the car were the sounds - there were birds everywhere and many kinds, all unfamiliar to my ears. When I entered the refuge, I was dumbfounded. It was practically a jungle - with dense tree cover, butterflies and bird everywhere, and under the canopy it was incredibly moist and cool. The first of the trail led through eerie trees draped with Spanish Moss. Many butterflies clung to these trees and "moss", awaiting the warmth of morning before they would begin to stir. This tattered Zebra Longwing was one of the sleepers.



I was expecting birds and reptiles in south Texas, and while I saw tons of birds and a fair number of lizards, it really was insects who dominated the show. Everywhere I went, I walked through flocks of butterflies. Each step I took in grass-covered terrain I heard dozens of clicks as large grasshoppers bounded out of my way. This Banded Peacock was a good example of some of the myriads of butterflies.



In the refuge there is an old cemetary. The wildlife has made these the tranquil setting of these tombstones home - as with this Rosebelly Lizard.



I saw over twenty species of butterflies within the refuge. It'd be hard to pick favorites, but the Mexican Bluewings and Julia Heliconians were definitely near the top. I was greatly regretting not having any macro gear with me. But if I can't get a decent photo of these two beauties, it'll give me an excuse to come back to South Texas later. The birds were amazing too - I saw over ten species that I had never seen before during the morning in the refuge.

After the refuge, I took a long drive to South Padre Island. Most of the beaches were packed with beach lovers, but I made a brief stop the South Padre Island World Birding Center where I saw some absolutely gorgeous Scissor-tailed Flycatchers (another animal I may have to return for). There were also some cooperative White-winged Doves and numerous waders. The sunset across the water was a breathtaking end to an exciting day.

No comments: