Sunday, July 12, 2009

New Tool in the Shed

(May 18th) Today I made a pact with myself, it was time to start using flash, and really start using it. Without it, there are just too many shots missed - especially with the warblers and other songbirds in the foliage. First of all I headed over to the House Wren nest to see how they were doing. I got a few shots without flash at first, like this picture of one of the soon-to-be-parents on a log near the nest. It's all ruffled having just shown me an extensive grooming session. After a few flash shots of the nest, it was on to the warblers.



This Canada Warbler is one of those warblers that is in the dense foliage most of the time. So flash helps me get a shot where normally none would be possible. It adds some fill light and also corrects the color balance.



The flash helps a lot, but like any new tool, it will take some time to master. Sometimes I was using too little flash, sometimes too much. This Bay-breasted Warbler shows you what it looks like when you use too much. Definitely going to work on this...

No comments: