Saturday, July 11, 2009

Back Down to Ohio

(May 15th) The sun was back today, so Magee Marsh again. Again no good photos of migrants were in the cards today, but there was plenty else to keep me occupied. I started off the morning with this American Robin. The light was incredible and a nice composition. I usually don't like pictures with man-made objects in the background, but it doesn't bother me here.



I discovered a great House Wren nest which the two parents kept attending to. Many birders ask what I was photographing and when I told them it was a House Wren, they usually went "Oh" and quickly walked down the boardwalk as if I was crazy. I didn't try and get great shots today - in my thinking the wrens will be here for a few weeks so I can come back any time. I definitely am planning on returning. But with these shots and the next subject, I really felt like flash needs to become part of my arsenal.



Less than 12 hours after the Great Horned Owl of yesterday, my subject was another owl. Turns out a pair of Eastern Screech Owls rest each day in the same tree in Magee Marsh. Of course the foliage is everywhere and they often are in positions where you can't see much of them, but today wasn't so bad. This is one time where you really feel the restriction of having to stick to the boardwalk. These guys are a lot smaller than the Great Horned Owl, about the same size as the Burrowing Owls in Florida.

No comments: