Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mt. Yuelu

(May 30th) A few days ago I had visited the Yuelu Academy, today I returned to the area for the mountain behind the academy. The mountain has been a traditional place of enjoyment, rest, meditation, and study for two millenia. There are quite a number of arches in the area leading to various shrines - many honoring heroes old and new.



I think there is an unwritten rule that every Westerner who travels to Asia must take a picture of at least one monk. Many of the monks from Yuelu Academy walk up Mt. Yuelu each day to meditate. I think I managed not to be an annoying tourist when I took this shot...



On the climb there was a pagoda which several of the locals were enjoying. I got a kick out of the child who was using it as lookout while his mother took a rest. He was probably a bit surprised to see a foreigner walking up the mountain.



On Mt. Yuelu there is an old Buddhist temple called Lushan Temple. This temple was orginally built in 268 A.D. and has been damaged several times. It had a long period of relative peace until the Japanese nearly completely destroyed it during WWII. Fortunately much of it has been rebuilt since then. Yeah, I know I'm taking pictures at a time when the light is not very good...



Inside the temple there is quite a nice courtyard. Photography is forbidden inside the temple itself, so I respected the wishes. I did take a few shots in the courtyard before entering and learning about several of the buddhas to whom shrines are dedicated.



Also out in the courtyard was this guardian statue who I looked the look of. He seemed to have a friendly smile for me as well.

No comments: