Friday, January 8, 2010

Trip Across the Border

(August 13th) This morning I took an early trip to Canada to check out Pt. Pelee for the first time. Although Pt. Pelee is primarily known for migration season, I had never been there before and was curious to see what it was like. I spent most of the morning being hounded by hundreds of biting stable flies. After fleeing the beach from them, I spent some time in the marsh area. Here there were some young Black Terns circling around and giving me some nice views.



I ran into this Northern Leopard Frog on the boardwalk. These frogs are one of a couple of species of northern frogs that are heavily spotted (the Pickerel Frog is the other). As a child, I used to run into these frogs regularly in our garden, so they can stray a distance from water when they want.



After I left the boardwalk, I decided to check out the western beach at the National Park. A flock of gulls was resting there while some human visitors enjoyed the water. This Herring Gull had found a hole in the sand to huddle in.

No comments: