Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Couldn't Wish for a Better Start

(July 23rd) After a few hour drive, I made it to the entrance of Jasper National Park. The last hundred miles or so was so difficult to drive. The scenery began to become so breathtaking that I wanted to stop and take some pictures, but I knew it was best to keep driving to make it to the park for an afternoon of shooting. When I entered the park I almost immediately ran into a herd of Bighorn Sheep. Again,I took stock of the still harsh light and the fact that the herd was ewes and juveniles. So I kept driving until I spotted two rams who were eating. Immediately the shots began to roll.



The photography started off incredibly. After the two rams finished eating down low, they climbed up on top a steep hill and I followed. They have amazing climbing abilities and following was quite difficult with a large lens and tripod. But when they got up a ways they took a break and chewed some cud as they watched me look foolish. I focused most of the time on the older ram who had a nice set of horns. I spent a few hours up there before shade covered the area where the rams were. So many quality images in such a short time - such productive shooting leaves a good feeling.



For the last little bit of light I explored a large river valley in the park. It was a great location for some landscape shots with numerous boulders and some wildflowers in bloom. While working the landscape images. I had some chipmunks and ground squirrels chattering to keep me feeling at home.



As the sun began to set, I moved further down the valley and came to the gorgeous Medicine Lake. I took a few last images in the dwindling light and couldn't wait tomorrow, my first full day in the park.

No comments: