Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Dem Viet Nam

(January 31st) I haven't been shooting a lot of wildlife lately, but I've still had a camera in my hands. A couple of my friends invited me to extravaganze put on by the University of Michigan's Vietnamese Student Association. It was a wonderful time, and quite a challenge to shoot with stage lighting all over the map. I severely regretted not bringing a flash. The performance was amazing! One of my favorite numbers was an umbrella dance with stunning colors.



It was set-up much like a variety show with commentary between the acts. There was a mix of traditional Vietnamese entertainment with more modern, Western-style acts. Another traditional performance was this fan dance.



My friends put on a fantastic ballroom and Latin dancing medley. At different times the performance was filled with dominant strength, fiery passion, and irresistable coolness.



There were also several all-male dance numbers, like this contemporary rendition.



The show ended with an impressive fashion show as participants marched out in both traditional and modern dress. I couldn't believe how they could change so quickly...

1 comment:

JSWu Consulting said...

Hey Bob, great photos... I'm glad your photography skills can make me look so cool!

Good luck in China, I'm glad I finally found your blog!