Saturday, September 20, 2008

An Early End

(July 31st) For our second day in the Wind River Range, we were up before the sun. We quickly climbed atop the cliff (nearly losing a lens shade) to the south of our campsite in order to work the mountains in the early light. Such amazing scenery and such amazing light and of all the shots I took in the early portion, my favorite was this flower shot. One thing I learned from Wind River was that I really need to learn how to take better landscape shots.



After the light rose a little more, we worked the pikas again. This time it was almost as if Alex and I were their friends. They had extra energy in the morning and allowed us to come in close, not to mention that we had gotten a bit better at working these cute subjects.



It was a moderate hike this day. Some elevation and some distance, but nothing killer. We made great time as we hiked many of the ridges near the famous Cirque of the Towers.



We got to our campsite early, and it was a good thing since there were lots of people in this area. We saw some bad mosquitos on this trip - first in one of the Yellowstone locations and secondly this evening. They are definitely no where near as bad as the ones I encountered once in the Everglades, but they are probably the second worse I've run into. Partly for this reason, partly out of tiredness, and partly in face of the daunting climb ahead of us the next time I turned in for sleep and an outrageous 5pm without any evening photo time.

No comments: